The Difference Between A Company Car, Private Car And Commercial Vehicle

Profile picture for user

It is important to understand the difference between vehicles, whether they are company owned, private vehicles or commercial. 

Company car

A company car can be given to an employee as part of their job role. If the employee uses the car privately, including commuting, a benefit-in-kind (BIK) charge is applied as a ‘cash equivalent value’ onto the employee’s taxable earnings.

A company car is expensed in two main ways – ‘Mileage Claim’ or ‘Fuel Benefit’.

A Mileage Claim system is when the business pays for business fuel on business trips and the employee pays for private fuel on private trips. A mileage claim system requires detailed mileage logs for all business trips.

A Fuel Benefit system is used if the business pays for all fuel in the car; business and private. No mileage logs are required but an additional fuel benefit-in-kind (FBIK) charge is applied.

Read article: Are you better with or without Fuel Benefit-In-Kind?

Private vehicles

Private vehicles which are used for business trips are often referred to as ‘grey fleet’. When using a grey fleet car no benefit charges are levied against the car or the fuel for either the business or employee.

Grey fleets are a cost-effective solution for companies where business mileage is typically low. Grey fleets are most commonly on a mileage claim system - so a detailed mileage log is required.

Commercial vehicle

A light commercial vehicles (LCV) definition is any motorised vehicle other than a car or motorcycle that weighs less than 3500kg. Some examples are:

  • Lorry
  • Tractor
  • Van
  • Pick-up truck
  • Car derived van

The majority of LCV’s register a nil-benefit, therefore, only business trips, commuting and insignificant private use are allowed.

If significant private trips are undertaken, this must be declared and a BIK charge applied.

If the business pays for the fuel on private trips, this must be declared and a FBIK is applied.

Mileage logs are required for nil-benefit and BIK systems. No mileage logs are required on a FBIK system.

If a business fails to declare BIK or FBIK on LCV’s they risk heavy tax penalties backdated up to 6 years.

It's not easy for an individual to keep track of all the Tax Authority's rules and requirements. That is why at ABAX we are always updated with the latest regulations - so you can avoid worrying about your taxes.

Read article: Company Van On Benefit-In-Kind (BIK)

How do I fill out a mileage claim?

The ABAX Triplog is a GPS unit, permanently connected with our servers, which automatically keeps track of all driving.

This means that it is always updated with the latest software, the latest tax regulations and a user-friendly interface that gives you immediate access to all this information. Our additional services include storage for seven years of all data - the minimum legal requirement by the Tax Authority.

Find out about ABAX Mileage Claim here.